Set out below are answers to some commonly asked questions, and further information about working on Dunk Island can be found in the Working and Living on Dunk Island Fact Sheet.
1. How do I apply for a job with Dunk Island? We accept applications for current advertised positions and from suitably qualified persons wishing to work for the company in the future. Please specify which position that you are applying for and your availability. Please also attach a cover letter, curriculum vitae (CV) and at least two contactable referees in word format only. Then email it to us at
3. What is the recruitment process? Applications usually take 7 -10 days to process. While we would like to contact all applicants, the high volume of enquiries is prohibitive so only successful applicants will be contacted. Your application will be kept on file for three months where if a suitable position becomes available we will contact you to discuss.
4. I haven't worked in hospitality before - Should I apply? For core hospitality positions such as food/beverage, kitchen, housekeeping and front office it is preferable to have relevant hotel or resort experience. A Responsible Service of Alcohol qualification for any food or beverage position is required as a precursor to employment. For other positions such as in maintenance or as a chef, trade qualifications are required.
5. Does Dunk Island employ international applicants? Dunk Island Resort welcomes applications from experienced individuals who have Australian working rights or permits. Overseas applicants can refer to www.immi.gov.au.
6. Does Dunk Island employ interns? Dunk Island works with a number of Australian hotel schools and education providers to provide industry placements and employment to complement studies. We regularly attend hotel school expos and present to students at their place of study.
7. Is it possible to work with another person in the same location? We welcome joint applications and this should be indicated when applying. Both applicants must bring relevant experience but we cannot guarantee that both will be successful.
8. Can I bring pets? This is not possible as our properties are located in national parks and protected environments.
9. Are short-term positions available? Generally we hire for a three month minimum commitment however, in periods of high occupancy, short term work is sometimes available.
10. Is accommodation provided? Staff accommodation is provided on a shared basis and allocated on position. While every effort is made to accommodate people who are travelling together, sometimes this is not always possible. We will however, endeavour to facilitate this request during your employment.
11. What is the cost of living on Dunk Island? Dunk Island is an extremely affordable living option that provides twin share accommodation and 3 meals per day in the Staff Diner at a heavily discounted cost. Our current weekly costs are $49.34 per person in twin share accommodation and $87.57 for 3 meals per day in the Staff Diner. These charges are directly debited from your wages each fortnight.